Lil Nas X stunned on the ’23 Met Gala red carpet fully committing to its hosts’ instructions to dress “in honor of Karl.” Karl Lagerfeld, of course, the Fashion juggernaut and long-time head of Chanel, Fendi and his own line. The “Montero” singer went as a sort of crystal Choupette — Lagerfeld’s beloved cat — in crystals, pearls and little else, with his hair worn in perfectly (purrfectly?!) hydrated natural curls.
The Tease team spoke with celebrity hairstylist Coree Moreno, who worked with Lil Nas X for the Met Gala about this hairstyle. “For this look Lil Nas X went bold with a feline inspired metallic crystal look from head to toe. With his whole body covered in silver, we needed his hair to shine like the ensemble but remain natural to provide contrast. We opted for luscious and ultra hydrated curls to frame the headpiece.”
Keep scrolling to read exactly how Moreno created this Met Gala look with Matrix products.
Get the Look:
- “To prepare this luxurious hydrated look I first cleansed the hair with Matrix Food For Soft Hydrating Shampoo to provide a clean yet nourished base.
- I wanted his hair to look luscious and soft surrounding the statement mask, so we used Matrix Food For Soft Rich Hydrating Treatment Mask for deep condition and repair.
- Then while the hair is damp, I sectioned the hair as needed and use Matrix styling essentials, Setter Mouse for just the right amount of volume and shine and Controller Gel to secure the shape into place.
- Next, I took small sections and finger coil curls to set curls.
- Now finished with wet styling, I then set hair by diffusing the curls until dry and style curls.
- After the hair is completely dry, I went in with a healthy dose of Matrix Food For Soft Multi-Use Hair Oil Serum to make the curls shine and give that yummy hydrated look.
- To finish I added texture and hold with Matrix Builder Wax Spray and he’s red carpet ready!”
For more from Matrix, be sure to follow on Instagram.