NYFW experienced a vibe shift thanks to Rodarte‘s FW23 show. The California-based brand, helmed by sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy, once again tapped into its weird. This time, conjuring goth fairies with glam that was seriously Siouxsie Sioux-inspired and hair that seemed to alternate between Anjelica Huston’s Morticia Adams and Winona Ryder’s Lydia Deetz. Needless to say, we’re big fans.
Celebrity Hair Artist for TRESemmé and hair lead for the Rodarte FW23 show, Odile Gilbert said “we wanted to create a signature look that was unexpected and whimsical, much like Rodarte’s collection. The hair is attended to appear natural with an organic feel. It’s our take on an ethereal fairytale aesthetic juxtaposed within our modern world.”
Rodarte hair team stylist and Olivia Garden educator Michelle Swiney posted about creating “effortless silky straight looks” backstage. Luckily, she shared exactly which tools she used to get the models runway ready. Keep reading for the complete step-by-step breakdown.
Get the Look
- Apply TRESemmé Fluid Smooth Hair Tonic Water ($6.99) evenly through damp hair to hydrate, detangle, smooth and create high shine.
- Blow dry using high heat and a round rush until hair is straight.
- Editor’s note: Michelle Swiney opted for the Olivia Garden Ceramic + ion Hair Dryer ($109.95) and the Olivia Garden NewCycle Round Thermal Brush ($19.95).
- Apply TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Heat Protect Spray ($8.59) and then use a flat iron to straighten on medium heat.
- Editor’s note: Michelle Swiney used the Olivia Garden Ceramic + ion Flat Iron ($109.95)
- Create a center part using a pintail comb and then separate the two sections of hair on each side of the middle part at the front of the hairline. Begin to cornrow each section of hair until the braids are hidden behind the ear. Secure the braids with a hair pin but allow a section of the straight hair to layer blissfully on top.
- Editor’s note: Michelle Swiney used an Olivia Garden CarbonLite Metal Tail Comb ($14.50)
- To finish the look, apply TRESemmé Keratin Smooth Shine Serum ($8.59) to minimize frizz, amplify shine and ensure natural movement. Set with a mist of TRESemmé Extra Hold Hair Spray ($5.99) to control flyaway and protect hair from frizz.
- Editor’s note: Michelle Swiney grabbed her Olivia Garden Style-Up Combo Bristle Brush ($11.95).
If you recreate this look for your next client, or for yourself at home, tag @readthetease on Instagram or TikTok!