If you’re someone with curly hair (or who tends to work with a lot of curly-haired clients), then chances are you know just how important a diffuser is to achieving perfectly defined, frizz-free curls. That handy, little bowl-shaped attachment helps curls and coils to retain their curl pattern by drying them with controlled heat and airflow. It’s safe to say that it’s a game-changer when it comes to heat-styling curls and coils.
As someone who mastered the art of diffusing (and even has a little ditty to diffuse to),no one knows this better than Sam Villa Ambassador Kauilani Goodwyn. As she sees it, the key to a successful diffused style is to start with applying an anti-frizz, heat protectant product to smooth and define curl. “Make sure to use the diffuser that comes with your blow dryer, so you get the full benefits,” she adds.
Because we’re sure you’re probably wondering the right way to diffuse curly hair, we tapped Goodwyn to steer us in the right direction when it comes to getting those bouncy, beautiful curls of your dreams. Ahead, follow her guide.
How to Diffuse Hair
- Clean and prep hair with Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo and Conditioner, or Moisture Fusion Moisture Rich Shampoo and Intense Moisturizing Mask.
- Brush through wet hair with a Sam Villa Signature Series Paddle Brush ($22.00) and Mizani 25 Miracle Milk ($25.00) or Cream ($24.00)—depending on texture type— and layer with a styling product with hold to tame frizz and define curl. For this look, hair was layered with Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Cream and Foam Wrap ($18.00).
- Use a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer ($117.00) with diffuser, hover, then start drying hair: left, right, front, back.
- Diffuse hair until it is 75-80% dry and then use the free hand to manipulate texture while drying the rest of the way
- When hair is fully dry, apply Mizani 25 Miracle Nourishing Oil ($24.00) to hands, emulsify, and then soften any “crunch” from the hold product and separate hair. This will minimize frizz and add moisture.