By now we all know that the holiday season doesn’t start until the Queen of Christmas herself, Mariah Carey, says so.
Keeping with tradition, the pop diva officially ringed in the most wonderful time of the year with her annual “It’s Time” Christmas announcement video, which was released at midnight on Nov. 1. And this time around, Carey fully leaned into embracing all of those defrosting memes that circulate the Internet every November.
In the festive clip, the mega superstar can literally be seen defrosting from a massive block of ice by a group of masked figures in Halloween costumes using an assortment of hair dryers—including the Dyson Supersonic. After thawing out from the ice, Carey belts out, “It’s time!” in her signature whistle tone, before her iconic holiday hit, “All I Want For Christmas Is You” kicks in.
Along with getting us all excited for the festive season, or Mariah SZN, as she likes to call it, Carey also served up stellar holiday hair inspo in the video. Celebrity hairstylist Danielle Priano made sure that the singer decked the hall in style with gorgeous voluminous ringlets
The Tease was lucky enough to get Priano to share step-by-step details on how she achieved Carey’s flawless curls using the Dyson Supersonic and Airwrap. Keep scrolling her complete styling breakdown.
Get the Look:
- To achieve Mariah’s look, you’ll want to start with clean and damp hair.
- When prepping the hair, apply a heat protectant and mousse to damp the hair. According to Priano, “These products not only help protect the hair from heat damage, but also enhance a great wave pattern.”
- Next, use the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer Professional Edition with the professional concentrator attachment to roughly dry the hair 70%. Priano suggests focusing on getting as much moisture out as you can without fully styling yet.
- You’ll then want to section the hair, dividing it into manageable sections. You can use clips to keep sections separated.
- To get Mariah’s curls, use the Dyson Airwrap multi styler. According to Priano, a huge tip for this next step is choosing the right barrel. “You’ll want to select the barrel size on the Airwrap that matches the wave size you desire,” she says. “Mariah’s waves are often large and voluminous, so I tend to use the larger barrel. In this case, I used the 1.2 inch Airwrap long barrel.”
- Next, begin wrapping the hair by taking hold of each section and wrapping it around the chosen barrel on the Airwrap for approximately 10-15 seconds. Then cold shot for 5-10 seconds, release and let set, and don’t brush out the curl yet!
- Continue the process with each section of the hair and make sure to alternate the direction of the curls on each section as this will create a more natural and voluminous look (i.e. some of the curls towards the face and some away).
- Then, gently run your fingers or a wide-tooth comb through the hair to loosen the curls into voluptuous waves. “I recommend avoiding using a brush as this can make the hair too fluffy,” Priano says.
- The final step is to apply a light hairspray or styling spray to really hold the waves. “I also like to add a bit of hair oil or serum to only the ends of the hair for an added shine,” Priano says. If you’re wanting more volume at the roots like Mariah, you can gently tease the hair at the crown or apply a volumizing product at the root. “The key to achieving Mariah Carey’s waves is volume smoothness, and a touch of glamour,” she explains. “Everyone’s hair is different, so it’s always recommended you adjust the technique to your hair type and length.”
If you recreate Mariah’s curls for your clients or yourself, be sure to tag @readthetease on Instagram.