Actress Lily James once again proved she’s a style chameleon with a daring 2023 Met Gala look. Micro fringe, a custom leather gown and fingerless gloves instantly signaled Karl Lagerfeld. Also a bit of kink? According to celebrity hairstylist Halely Brisker, “The inspiration for the look was a 90’s leather-core sharpness and punk twist on classic Chanel. Lindbergh and Herb Ritts were image makers I had looked at during my mood boarding process.”
Brisker, a paid spokesperson for OLAPLEX, shared the fact steps he took to create this look with The Tease via email. Keep scrolling for more.
Get the Look:
- Begin by prepping the hair by adding OLAPLEX No. 6 Bond Smoother and OLAPLEX No. 9 Bond Protector Nourishing Hair Serum (2 parts to 1 and combing through thoroughly) to damp hair and blow out to smooth/straight in medium sections from back to front working up and forwards ensuring all the hair/roots are blown backwards.
- With a fixing spray or gel of your choice, saturate the hair and scrape back tightly into a snatched ponytail following the line of your cheekbones and secure with a bungee hook. If you have bangs, remember to leave these out and blow them out when finished.
- Take a 2 inch section from underneath your newly created ponytail and section away to the side for now. Then, take the remainder of your ponytail and fold under on itself and pin just below the base allowing it to hang freely in a loop. Now, take the piece you had sectioned away to the side earlier and with some hairspray, create a sharp sculpted piece to one side ensuring you use a mirror to place it correctly.
- Time to add your choice of embellishments around the base of your newly created ponytail sculpture. We opted for leather flowers made custom by Lelet but you can have fun here with your own choices in locations you feel look best.
- Finish with a generous wipe down of OLAPLEX No. 7 Bonding Oil to maximize shine.
If you recreate this style for a client, or for yourself, we want to see it. Tag @readthetease on Instagram or TikTok!