There’s no doubt that Y2K nostalgia has completely taken over the hair industry. Be it, baby braids and butterfly clips or chunky highlights, Y2K hairstyles have been popping up everywhere—from Instagram to the red carpet.
If you’re a hairstylist that’s been wanting to channel the early aughts with your clients, celebrity hairstylist Monae Everett has dreamed up the perfect half-up pigtails look that you absolutely need to try. The style, which involves middle parted hair with pigtails on either side of the split, flipped out ends, and blingy hair gems, gives off big pop star energy.
Everett shared a tutorial for the look on Instagram —and it’s totally a must-see. While the video is super easy to follow along, we were able to get the complete breakdown on achieving the half-up pigtails, so you can get the hairstyle just right.
Keep scrolling for Everett’s step-by-step instructions as well as details on all the must-have Sebastian Professional products she used to create this uber-cool hair look.
Get The Look:
- Before trimming her model’s hair, Everett prepped her tresses with the Sebastian Professional No. Breaker Leave-In Bonding Spray ($36.00) to help combat heat damage.
- Next, we added the Sebastian Professional Mousse Forte ($20.00) and Dark Oil ($48.00) before blow drying the hair smooth.
- Section hair from ear to ear, then create 4 triangle sections in the front, making sure to leave out tendrils at the hairline.
- Create 2 ponytails at the top, and twist the hair up toward the top of the head and secure with elastics.
- Next, Everett sprayed the whole head with Sebastian Professional Shaper Zero Gravity Hairspray ($23.00) then flipped the ends out with a flat iron.
- To evolve the style using accessories, Everett added orange crystals to accentuate the center part.
- She finished the style with another layer of the Shaper hairspray because it is firm but not wet.
If you recreate this look for a client, or for yourself, be sure to tag @readthetease on TikTok and Instagram.