Angela Bassett never fails to rule award shows with mesmerizing hair looks. Case in point? At Sunday night’s Oscars, the actress proved exactly why she’s the queen of the red carpet with her gorgeous retro curls.
Bassett, who’s nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, went full Old Hollywood sporting voluminous curls that totally elevated her royal purple Moschino gown. According to her hairstylist, Randy Stodghill, the inspiration for the classic hair look was “timeless beauty.”
Luckily, we got Stodghill to share the step-by-step details on how he created this gorgeous look using Olivia Garden tools.
Get the Look:
- Start by brushing out the hair with the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion XL Pro Paddle Brush ($18.95) to have a tangle-free base.
- Then go in with the new Olivia Garden Super HP Hair Dryer ($299.99) to dry the hair until it is damp. “We knew we wanted a really voluminous look for tonight, so to achieve this I used the Olivia Garden NanoThermal Power Grip 1 ¾ Brush ($23.95), which pairs perfectly with the powerful blow dryer,” Stodghill says.
- Once the hair was totally dry, I began to curl with the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion 1.25” Curling Iron ($79.99) to add curl definition, pinning each curl to cool as I went.
- After the curls finished setting, I went in with the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Supreme & Styler ($29.95), brushing the hair until the waves were smooth and set in place.
- Stodghill finished the look by using the Olivia Garden Super HP Hair Dryer again with the diffuser attachment to seal the look for the night.
If you recreate this look for your clients, or for yourself, be sure to tag @readthetease on Instagram or TikTok.