The iconic Sheryl Lee Ralph made history on Sunday performing “Lift Every Voice and Sing” at the Super Bowl — the first time the song was performed on-field. Widely considered to be the Black National Anthem, it’s fitting that she and award-winning hairstylist Moira “Fingaz” Frazier opted for a style that would embrace her natural curl pattern. Makeup artist Mila Thomas also understood the assignment and created a style inspired by the gold accents on Sheryl’s performance jumpsuit.
Scroll for a breakdown from both pros on how to recreate Sheryl Lee Ralph’s complete show-stopping look.
Get the Look: Hair
For this voluminous style, Frazier got to work with 30” Indian Organic Curly Hair from her Ariom Collection hair line and made a custom u-part wig, adding clip-in pieces to blend the top for a full natural curly hair look. “I only used 4 bags to make this piece and you can already tell we are giving natural healthy curls!” said Frazier.
To set Ralph’s curls, Frazier used her Wig Luxor Bath Bomb to detox the hair and followed up with her Wig Luxor Shampoo and Conditioner to enhance and moisturize the curl pattern leaving it to air dry overnight. (Editor’s note: Wig Luxor products will launch on February 19th — Frazier’s birthday!)
Frazier blended her hair by taking a rat tail comb, and twisting her natural hair around it, sealing it with a flatiron and releasing it so that she can blend seamlessly with the texture. Underneath the wig and clip-ins, Frazier applied her Moisture Lock Hair Cream ($18.99) to go in between Ralph’s braids. “Always make sure to keep your hair moisturized and healthy when wearing extensions or wigs. My Moisture Lock Hair Creme reduces breakage, promotes hair growth and added nutrients to fertilize your scalp.”
Get the Look: Glam
“I wanted to create an eye that was both luxurious and dramatic using smokey shades of black & gold. Inspired by the gold accents on Sheryl’s red performance suite,” Mila Thomas.
- Skin Prep
- La Mer Treatment Lotion ($220.00) and Moisturizing Soft Creme ($100.00).
- Fashion Fair Cosmetics Lush Blush Duo “Rich Plum” ($39.00) to sculpt and give lux color
- Fashion Fair Cosmetics Lip Teaser “Honey in Harlem” ($27.00)
- Bronze & Sculpt
- Fashion Fair Cosmetics Skin Flex Stick Foundation “Whimsey Walnut” ($39.00)
- Fashion Fair Cosmetics The Luxe Highlight Duo in “Golden Bronze” on the high planes and apples of the cheek ($39.00)
- Crease – Danessa Myricks Beauty Makeup Colorfix Matte in “Chocolate” ($18.00)
- On the lid – Danessa Myricks Lightwork IV Transcendence Palette shade “Divinity” (Sold out!)
- On top – Thomas added a little Danessa Myricks Colorfix Foil in “Twinkle” to catch the light and sparkle (Sold out!)
- Top & bottom Liner – Danessa Myricks Waterproof Cushion Color in “Black” (Sold out!)
Of course Ralph topped off the look with halftime show headliner Rihanna‘s Fenty Beauty “Gloss Bomb” ($20.00).
If you recreate this look for your next client, or for yourself at home, tag @readthetease on Instagram or TikTok!