Among a sea of tributes to the late Karl Lagerfeld at last night’s Met Gala, Cara Delevingne’s silvery shag definitely took the crown for the most dazzling hair look of the evening.
With Delevingne serving as a the guest of honor for Lagerfeld’s eponymous label at the gala, special planning went into creating this showstopping wig moment that would “pay homage to Karl, his creativity, and bond with Cara,” according to her hairstylist Danielle Priano.
“Looking back at past campaigns they did together, we were nostalgically inspired by the Chanel Cruise 2013 images of her in different pixie length, colored wigs,” Priano shared with The Tease via email. “We decided to modernize these reference by creating a cool, shag style wig dyed in an off white, pastel hue to celebrate their history and bring the past to life.”
We were lucky enough to get Priano to fill us in on exactly how she created this ultra-cool Chanel-inspired shag. Keep scrolling for her step-by-step breakdown.
Get the Look:
- Priano first brushed through Delevigne’s natural hair using Tangle Teezer’s The Ultimate Detangler ($11.99) to remove any existing tangles and create smoothness. “The brush’s patented two-tiered teeth gently but confidently detangle while causing less breakage, so it’s a great starting tool for any look,” she explained.
- Taking a generous amount of SexyHair Big Altitude Bodifying Blow Dry Mousse ($20.95), she applied it through Delevigne’s hair from roots to ends.
- Once the hair was prepped and hydrated, Priano used T3’s Featherweight Stylemax Hair Dryer ($199.99) to blow Delevigne’s hair out, then straightened it using T3’s Singlepass StyleMax Flat Iron ($149.99).
- She grabbed Tangle Teezer’s The Ultimate Styler ($16.00) to wrap sections of Delevigne’s hair in a circular fashion. “The brush’s unique bottle-shaped teeth have been developed to dry-style, and is perfect for keeping strands in place,” Priano says.
- Next, she clipped everything back before putting a wig cap over Delevigne’s hair.
- Priano used Professional Hair Labs GHOSTBOND Classic Wig Adhesive ($60.52) to attach the wig to the cap for a superior, invisible hold. “I applied GHOSTBOND adhesive in five, incremental layers all around her hairline letting each layer dry for about 20 seconds before applying the next one,” she says. “I let the layers cure for about ten minutes before applying the wig on Cara and attaching it to the cap.”
- To style the wig, Priano used Tangle Teezer’s The Ultimate Styler Brush ($16.00) from roots to ends to smooth it out while creating shine, and then applied Healthy SexyHair Love Oil ($22.95) throughout for maintainable shine.
- Using T3’s Switch Kit Wave Trio ($299.99), Priano took small sections of the hair into the iron and curved them outward to create wispy, delicate flips. “I enhanced these sections with Healthy SexyHair Re-Dew Conditioning Dry Oil & Restyler ($22.95) to fine tune them and keep them in place,” she says.
- As a final touch, Healthy SexyHair Smooth & Seal Shine & Anti-Frizzy Spray ($20.95) was applied as a finishing gloss at the end to protect the hair from humidity and the elements.
If you recreate this look for your clients, or for yourself, be sure to tag @readthetease on Instagram or TikTok.